The year was 2008. These were the best albums of that year.
15. Fucked Up- The Chemistry of Common Life (Matador)
Its hardcore fun for the whole family from these Tubby Dog eating award winners.
Sounds like Poison Idea and Black Flag
Listen to Son the Father and Crooked Head
14. The Hold Steady- Stay Positive (Vagrant)
This album will grow on you by the Twin Cities hardest hitters since Hrbek and Puckett.
Sounds like Bruce Springsteen, Thin Lizzy and Husker Du
Listen to Constructive Summer
13. Drive By Truckers- Brighter than Creations Dark (New West)
Patterson Hood keeps rolling, a long way from Gangstabilly.
Sounds like Neil Young, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Wilco and the Replacements
Listen to Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife
12. Tronic- Black Milk (Fat Beats)
Some Back pack from Detroit with some twisted beats.
Sounds like Madlib and Tribe Called Quest
Listen to Long Story Short
11. Eagles of Death Metal- Heart On (Downtown)
Deliver a cool blast of guitars with attitude.
Sounds like Queens of the Stone Age and
Listen to Heart On
10. GZA- Pro Tools (Babygrande)
Almost like Wu-Tang Lite with all of the cameos but they help GZA deliver.
Sounds like Erik B and Rakim and Redman
Listen to Cinema
9. Protest the Hero- Fortress (Vagrant)
Hardcore speed metal merchants from Whitby Ontario, nuff said.
Listen to Blood Meat and Wretch
Sounds like Alexisonfire and At the Drive In
8. Scarface- Emeritus (Rap-A-Lot/Asylum)
Its been a long time since the Geto Boys for the original OG from the Dirty South.
Sounds like Brand Nubian and Paris
Listen to High Powered and Can’t Get Right
7. Girl Talk- Feed the Animals (Illegal Art)
Not since the Avalanches have I heard so many samples and has this much damn fun.
Sounds like Holy Fuck and 2 many DJs
Listen to Shut the Club Down
6. The Bug- London Zoo (Ninja Tune)
London Zoo is a pissed off dance hall/hip hop fusion from Ninja Tune, The Bug is a bad bad man.
Sounds like DJ/rupture
Listen to Angry
5. Gaslight Anthem- The 59 Sound (Side One Dummy)
I am not sure what Springsteen thinks but I like these guys
Sounds like Jawbreaker and Against Me!
Listen to Old White Lincoln.
4. Metallica- Death Magnetic (Warner)
Back from the depths with the comeback of the century, Cliff Burton can stop turning.
Sounds like Danzig an Megadeth
Listen to the Broken, Beat and Scarred
3. Vampire Weekend- Vampire Weekend (XL)
Very catchy Afro-preppie beats from the Big Apple make everyone happy.
Sounds like Paul Simon and Talking Heads
Listen to Mansard Roof
2. TV on the Radio- Dear Science (DGC/Interscope)
So much fun and so diverse these guys are the present and the future
Sounds like Peter Gabriel and Pere Ubu
Listen to Crying
1. Q-Tip- The Renaissance (Motown)
Being forced into the wilderness by the labels is all the more criminal after listening to this masterpiece.
Sounds like Mos Def and De La Soul
Listen to Official, We Fight We Love and Manloveboogie