Thursday, October 28, 2004

Fear and Loathing, Campaign 2004

This is my first pseudo post in awhile. I have been busy with work and Mrs. Big Ell doesn't like me burning the midnight oil on my Blog when I could be building a trading empire. So I am sincerely sorry to those few Big Ell-ites who have been in need of a fix. This is an excellent article by Hunter S. Thompson. Rube was a hero of mine growing up and I could never get enough of his writings. Unfortunately, I thought his writing had become redundant and boring, I was ready to stick a fork in his back. Leave it to George to bring the old Hunter back. With only a few days before the election and the hopeful end of my self imposed American exile. I think this article from Rolling Stone is a good read. Some primer quotes from the Good Doc:

On Houston:
"Things haven't changed all that much where George W. Bush comes from. Houston is a cruel and crazy town on a filthy river in East Texas with no zoning laws and a culture of sex, money and violence. It's a shabby sprawling metropolis ruled by brazen women, crooked cops and super-rich pansexual cowboys who live by the code of the West -- which can mean just about anything you need it to mean, in a pinch."

On the 2000 election:
"It was the most brutal seizure of power since Hitler burned the German Reichstag in 1933 and declared himself the new Boss of Germany. Karl Rove is no stranger to Nazi strategy, if only because it worked, for a while, and it was sure as hell fun for Hitler. But not for long. He ran out of oil, the whole world hated him, and he liked to gobble pure crystal biphetamine and stay awake for eight or nine days in a row with his maps & his bombers & his dope-addled general staff."

On Tricky Dick:
"Richard Nixon looks like a flaming liberal today, compared to a golem like George Bush. Indeed. Where is Richard Nixon now that we finally need him?"

On Iraqi Sovereignty:
"Hot damn! Iraq is finally Free, and just in time for the election! It is a deliberate cowardly lie. We are no more giving power back to the Iraqi people than we are about to stop killing them."

Kerry Endorsement:
"Your neighbor's grandchildren will be fighting this stupid, greed-crazed Bush-family "war" against the whole Islamic world for the rest of their lives, if John Kerry is not elected to be the new President of the United States in November."

On George and his Daddy:
"Bush is a natural-born loser with a filthy-rich daddy who pimped his son out to rich oil-mongers. He hates music, football and sex, in no particular order, and he is no fun at all."

On Ralph Nader:
"I voted for Ralph Nader in 2000, but I will not make that mistake again. The joke is over for Nader. He was funny once, but now he belongs to the dead. There is nothing funny about helping George Bush win Florida again."

So check out the link. I am even thinking of buying his new book! Stick a fork in my ass and call me Big Ell.

RollingStone.com: Politics - Fear and Loathing, Campaign 2004:

No comments: